Thursday, August 30, 2018

Mirror

I'm heavier than I've ever been, by a whole lot.  I gained substantial weight when pregnant, far more than the recommend amount; being pregnant seems to turbocharge my appetite.  I'd also been toward the top of my own weight range when I started.  I've lost 28 pounds since my daughter was born, and I'm now the same weight I was when I was nine months pregnant with my son.  In order to the very heaviest part of my normal range, I still have to lose 25 pounds.

This is daunting and distressing, especially because I love to eat.  It's also my first glimpse at having the person in the mirror look startlingly different from the person in my mind.  My image of myself simply doesn't match what I see, and that's jarring.

I do recognize that this phenomenon will only increase as I age.  Does any ninety-year-old carry around a ninety-year-old image of herself?

No comments: