Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Biceps to Spare

My son is under the mistaken impression that predatory man in the story of Beauty and the Beast is named "GaStorm."  When I attempt to correct him, he's insistent.

"Mommy!  It's GaStorm!  Not Gaston.  You know, like Jackson Storm."

Jackson Storm, as far as I can gather, is a sentient and possibly disturbed vehicle from a shambolic Disney or Pixar dynasty called Cars.  My son hasn't seen the films, but school is a cultural Petri dish, and what grows, it seems, is anthropomorphized Hyundais.

I'm a stickler for accuracy, but I sympathize.  For what is my kid engaged in if not the noblest of human endeavors: wedging the crampons of what we know into the cliff of what we don't, rocketing our small scraps of knowledge into the vast galaxies of our ignorance?

I let GaStorm ride.  He's got more elan than Gaston, and I harbor a vague hope he knows how to drive stick.

No comments: