Friday, May 2, 2008

I Stole this from Samantha

"What we have here are the top 106 books most often marked as "unread" by LibraryThing’s users. As in, they sit on the shelf to make you look smart or well-rounded. Bold the ones you've read, underline the ones you read for school, italicize the ones you started but didn't finish. Here's the twist: add (*) beside the ones you liked and would (or did) read again or recommend. Even if you read 'em for school in the first place."

Okay! Except I can't find the underline command on blogger, so you won't be able to tell what I read in the pursuit of academic excellence and what I was foolish enough to tackle on my own time. I am pleased to see that I've read less than half of this (very odd) list; this gives me the sense that I am not yet 87.

Here follows my first foray into chain blogging! Sigh. Those damn books are always leading me astray.

The Aeneid
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay**
American Gods
Anansi Boys
Angela’s Ashes
Angels & Demons
Anna Karenina
Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand makes me apoplectic)
Beloved
The Blind Assassin**
Brave New World
The Brothers Karamazov (Four separate assaults, all ending in ignominious defeat)
The Canterbury Tales
The Catcher in the Rye (This book makes me itchy)
Catch-22
A Clockwork Orange (My ex-boyfriend made me read this book, which should have warned me off one or the other of them)
Cloud Atlas
Collapse : how societies choose to fail or succeed
A Confederacy of Dunces
The Confusion
The Corrections
The Count of Monte Cristo
Crime and Punishment*
Cryptonomicon
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time*
David Copperfield
Don Quixote
Dracula
Dubliners
Dune
Eats, Shoots & Leaves
Emma
Foucault’s Pendulum
The Fountainhead
Frankenstein
Freakonomics : a rogue economist explores the hidden side of everything
The God of Small Things*
The Grapes of Wrath (Ever since my toilet-books blog entry, I can't take this one seriously. Which is OK, because it takes itself seriously enough for both of us)
Gravity’s Rainbow
Great Expectations
Gulliver’s Travels
Guns, Germs, and Steel: the fates of human societies
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
The Historian : a novel
The Hobbit*
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Iliad
In Cold Blood : a true account of a multiple murder and its consequences
The Inferno
Jane Eyre*
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
The Kite Runner
Les Misérables (BARF)
Life of Pi : a novel
Lolita***
Love in the Time of Cholera
Madame Bovary
Mansfield Park
Memoirs of a Geisha
Middlemarch*** (Excellent)
Middlesex*** (Also excellent, and oddly similar to Middlemarch)
Mrs. Dalloway
The Mists of Avalon
Moby Dick
The Name of the Rose*
Neverwhere
1984
Northanger Abbey
The Odyssey
Oliver Twist
The Once and Future King
One Hundred Years of Solitude
On the Road
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
Oryx and Crake : a novel
A People’s History of the United States : 1492-present
Persuasion**
The Picture of Dorian Gray
The Poisonwood Bible : a novel***
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Pride and Prejudice*
The Prince
Quicksilver
Reading Lolita in Tehran : a memoir in books
The Satanic Verses***
The Scarlet Letter
Sense and Sensibility**
A Short History of Nearly Everything
The Silmarillion (If you can hack your way through this privet hedge of death you are a better man than I)
Slaughterhouse-five
The Sound and the Fury
A Tale of Two Cities
Tess of the D’Urbervilles
The Time Traveler’s Wife
To the Lighthouse
Treasure Island
The Three Musketeers
Ulysses
The Unbearable Lightness of Being*
Vanity Fair
War and Peace
Watership Down*
White Teeth**

Wicked : the life and times of the wicked witch of the West
Wuthering Heights
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: an inquiry into values

2 comments:

Ellie said...

Privet hedge of death, Anne? My word.

I was really excited to read it, until I began reading it. As I recall, Josh really liked it. But then, he is a lawyer now.

Samantha said...

Excellent annotation, I must say. :)