Saturday, July 21, 2018

Park

I've basically hung my entire life on the ability to walk to the park.

That's it; that and no more. Locomotion + green space + no intermediary vehicles.  I've mortgaged myself in any number of ways to obtain and maintain this privilege, and so I take shameless advantage of it.

The park is about half a mile, and somehow uphill both ways.  It's not a particularly prepossessing park- much of it is treeless, and the playground, which is moderately worn, seems to have been set up for daredevil ten-year-olds.  There's the aforementioned playground, a single picnic shelter, a memorial to do with fireman, a baseball diamond, and a vast green space in which dogs- my longtime nemeses- run free.

But it is my park, and, even pushing a stroller, even encumbered by an irritable four-year-old, I can put one foot in front of the other until I get there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having a park within walking distance is a very important and wonderful thing! It's something we've been careful to make sure we can have in our choices of homes too. Also being able to walk to a grocery is really nice!