Saturday, June 26, 2010

Five Books I am Actively Avoiding

You Remind Me of Me (Dan Chaon): This is on the floor of my bedroom. It looks nice and appropriate there, as the cover is an airbrushed photograph of shoes. I liked Await Your Reply, so I'm not sure why I'm ignoring the blandishments of this one, except that I have a feeling it's going to be literary and depressing, and I am, on my own, literary and depressing enough that I don't need written reinforcement.

Dust: A Richard Jury Mystery (Martha Grimes): I abandoned this one mid-read a while back and have been ducking its calls ever since. You know you're in trouble when you're more interested in the description of the half-eaten hamburger that constituted the deceased's last meal than in the identity of the killer who interrupted said meal. Yet, it's tough to admit defeat. I will charge through this book like Charlemagne through France! I will prevail against the massed forces of boredom and mediocre writing! Later!

Julie and Julia (Julie Powell): Another half-way through-er. Julie annoys me. And so, at least as penned by Julie, does Julia. For God's sake, just stick a tortilla in the microwave already! This one is holed up underneath the nightstand plotting culinary malfeasance.

Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez): Love AND disease in one lengthy and very serious mash-up? I need a few more months of fortification and possibly a case of gin.

Ulysses (James Joyce): I have been fleeing this one for as long as I can remember. It hasn't caught me yet!

What are you avoiding?

No comments: