Friday, October 5, 2018

Scraps

I have so much more empathy for my parents now than I did before I had children. Too late, I feel the weight of the things they did for me, the heaviness of ringing a dinner bell and packing a lunch and schlepping me here and there and everywhere.

***

Going back to work full time, my days have a headlong, breakneck quality, as if I'm tied to the back of a stampeding horse. Those few moments I do have downtime, I feel confused and unsteady, as if, after so many hours in the saddle, I've lost the knack of walking on solid ground.

***

I hate the hands into which our country is fallen, but I'm tired of expressing outrage about it, because I can't see how stoking my own pain and sorrow and anger does any practical good.  We've fetishized outrage, on the right and, to a lesser but no less pernicious extent, the left, and it's made us sick.

***

Spring died in utero.  Fall is rotting on the vine.  The Game of Thrones tagline should be Summer Is Coming.


No comments: